Laker Football Puts on a Show Against Their Biggest Rival

Zach Draghiciu, Featured Writer

• It’s a game we’ve all been looking forward to, and the Lakers did not disappoint. Thursday, September 23rd, the Southwest football team faced its biggest rival, the Washburn Millers. It’s always an exciting showdown because of the high stakes, bragging rights, and school pride. The Millers were there but they never really showed up. The final was 41-7, and once the Lakers took the lead they never gave it up. Our fans showed up wearing all white and stayed till the end, rocking the stands with chants heard throughout the neighborhood. When the game came to a close the Southwest student section stormed the field to celebrate the team’s enormous victory over our closest rival.

Southwest football players had many an opportunity to shine. On the offensive side of the ball, Laker quarterback Preston Engen threw for 3 touchdowns completing 14 of 19 attempts. Running back Declan Maida ran for 104 yards and 2 touchdowns. On the other side of the ball, Charlie Boucher had 10 tackles and 2 sacks. Complimenting him, junior Ade Batz-Rogers had 4 tackles and an interception.

Coming up this Friday, our team faces Kennedy (2-2 record) in the rowdy and loud Swamp. Plenty to cheer for as the Lakers attempt to keep their record undefeated. Show up and support our team on October 1st!