Into the Woods Comes to Southwest

Charlotte Johnson, Featured Writer

Into the Woods, written by James Lapine, is coming to our Southwest Theater for the next two weeks. This musical can only be described as one that contains magic that defies description. 

The story follows a young maiden, a sad young lad, and a childless baker with his wife as they venture into the woods to get their wish. It contains familiar elements from some of your favorite childhood fairytales as they were written by The Brothers Grimm; fairy tales like Cinderella, Rapunzel, Jack and the Beanstalk, Little Red Ridinghood, and many more. 

The musical is estimated to run a little over 2 hours with a brief intermission between the two acts. Tickets are $5 for students and $10 for adults. The performing arts department will also be accepting donations. You can buy tickets online or in-person but make sure you have enough cash if you play to buy in person. There will be 8 scheduled showings. Shows on May 12, 14, and 18-21 are all at 7pm, and shows May 15 and 22 will be at 2pm. 

The show is primarily student-run and you will be able to see not only students onstage but also running sound, light, props, costuming and many more things. If you or someone you know are close with a senior who is in the musical in any way at all, I recommend you choose the show on Sunday, May 22nd as it is tradition to honor all of our seniors regardless of their role after their last performance on the southwest stage. 

On behalf of the Southwest Into The Woods cast and crew, I hope you can follow the path to one or more of our shows to support our talented students.