A journey in teaching

Ms. Soli outside her classroom. (Umi Sahal ’24)

Umi Sahal, Featured Writer

Ms. Soli is one of the greatest math teachers at Southwest high school. Not only is she a math teacher, but she’s also an AVID teacher who helps students achieve and accomplish their goals. 

“She wants you to succeed, she always has a plan—beginning, middle, and end. She is always there to help us,” Jihan Ahmed (‘24) said.

“One of the things I love most about teaching is working with high school students and helping them achieve their goals. Being a part of public education is incredibly rewarding, as I truly believe it is what drives the world forward,” Soli said.

She added that one of her biggest inspirations to become a teacher was her 9th-grade math teacher. “She made every class so enjoyable that I dreamt of being her when I grew up.”

“She talks to you very calmly. I’ve never seen her yell. Her class is very calm,” Ahmed said. “College was a challenging time for me, but I found that having a supportive group of like-minded friends was crucial. Additionally, the jobs I worked in schools while in college also helped prepare me for my future career,” Soli mentioned.

“Starting out as a teacher was both exciting and challenging. I had to teach a new course and write the curriculum for it simultaneously, which was difficult but rewarding.”

“My journey to becoming a teacher was unique because I knew from an early age that it was what I wanted to do. My advice to others is to decide on your path and stick with it. Don’t limit yourself to just majoring in education – exploring other fields, such as psychology, can provide valuable skills and perspectives,” Soli stated.

“Ms. Soli taught me how to write a resume and prepare for college,” commented Akrama Musse (‘24).  

Soli’s advice to others is to “Decide on your path and stick with it. Don’t limit yourself to just majoring in education – exploring other fields, such as psychology, can provide valuable skills and perspectives.”

She knows when you’re not yourself, checks in on everyone, and genuinely cares for the students in her space. 

“She notices how you’re doing. It meant a lot to me when she took the time to write us notes before she went on maternity leave,” Musse added. 

Her joy in education and her subject, such as math jokes (even when she is the one finding them most humorous), is contagious.