The Navigator

The Navigator

The Navigator

Polls

Where did you visit this spring break?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Root beer is better in a barrel

Journalism students hold up pieces of hard candy after writing a thoughtful review.

It all started in Madeline Lang’s journalism class: Bilaal Mohamud (‘26) saw Lang’s box of Root Beer Barrels. Mohamud then asked if they were any good. Lang said they were very good, so Mohamud reluctantly tried one of them. At first it wasn’t very good compared to the candy he usually liked, but as the flavors marinated in his mouth his opinion started to change. “It tasted amazing,” he said. 

As they were enjoying their barrels with the minty flavor still laying dormant in their mouths they decided to discuss the flavors they were experiencing.

He decided to share this experience of newly found flavors with his friend Jahmon Avery (‘24). Mohamud called to Avery, “come try these, bro,” while pointing at the box of Barrels. Avery then came over slowly and asked what they were. Mohamud told him, “they are Root Beer barrels.” Avery looked at the box of Barrels curiously. He gave into his curiosity and tried a Barrel. He liked them immediately. 

Mohamud described the fresh mint cooling flavor as being something he never tried before: “it wasn’t too overpowering to the flavor of the root beer, but was a nice touch on the side.” 

Avery agreed with Mohamud, adding that “the minty flavor gives off high notes of herbal flavors.” 

Mohamud also said he didn’t like the drink itself, but thinks that the flavor works way better as candy rather than a drink. Avery disagreed as he loves root beer, but understands why other people wouldn’t. 

Avery brought up the texture of the candy itself saying that he’s never had a texture of that kind in his mouth before, pointing out the multiple lines resembling a barrel actually stick out more than the other parts of the candy giving the texture more depth. Avery thought the barrels had an amazing texture, that this element added a unique quality to this hard candy. Mohamud thought differently. He thought the texture was the worst part of the candy wishing the candy was a little smaller: “it’d be more enjoyable if it was smaller” he pointed out what Avery said about the lines of the root beer barrel saying that those lines rub across the roof of his mouth giving him an unpleasant feeling. They agree to disagree on this point, but they continue on to the final rating of the candy itself: Mohamud gives Root Beer Barrels 4/5 stars and Avery gives 4.5/5 stars.