The Navigator

The Navigator

The Navigator

Polls

Where did you visit this spring break?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

What to Watch: December

It’s easy to fall into a slump as the year comes to an end, but no matter what you’re celebrating this holiday season, there’s always a movie to lift your spirits. Whether you’re into the old classics, charming animations, comedies, or heartwarming family movies, there’s something for everyone, and The Navigator is happy to help. 

• Anastasia

There is a surplus of animated holiday movies, but a lesser-known one follows lost Russian Princess: Anastasia Romanov (Meg Ryan). When the palace is overrun, a young Anastasia disappears without a trace. Years later, two scheming men plan to bring an orphan girl with an uncanny “resemblance” to Princess Anastasia to Paris to earn a reward from the Grand Duchess. Over the course of the movie, Anastasia falls in love and fights the evil Rasputin in an attempt to reunite with her family. 

Where to Watch: Disney+, Prime Video, Apple TV

• Trading Places

In a bet, high-class Louis Winthorpe III (Dan Aykroyd) and street hustler Billy Ray Valentine (Eddie Murphy) trade roles after Louis is framed by his brothers and replaced by Billy. When the duo discovered the scheme, they set out to fix it. This 1983 comedy takes place over the course of Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s in Philadelphia and is a comical take on social class in America. 

Where to Watch: Vudu, Prime Video, Apple TV

• Meet Me in St. Louis

At the time of the 1904 World Fair, this movie follows Esther Smith (Judy Garland) and her family living in St. Louis. When Esther falls in love with the boy next door, John (Tom Drake), she and her family learn about life and love through fun musical numbers, parties, trick-or-treating, and a final Christmas Eve celebration sure to warm your heart. 

Where to Watch: Apple TV, Prime Video

• Elf

Buddy The Elf (Will Ferrell) was accidentally brought from the orphanage to the North Pole as a baby and has lived the past 30 years of his life as a six-foot-tall elf. When he finally realizes he’s human, he travels down to New York City in hopes of finding his father, Walter Hobbs (James Caan), who he quickly realizes wants nothing to do with him. Buddy must do what he’s always been taught and spread the holiday cheer to the Hobbs family and many other characters he meets along the way to save Christmas.

Where to Watch: HBO Max, Prime Video, Vudu

• Love Actually

This classic Christmas time rom-com intertwines nine stories throughout London with all kinds of people finding love in their own, sometimes very complicated, ways. The New British Prime Minister (Hugh Grant), a grieving single dad (Liam Neeson), and many more find love actually is all around, especially during the holiday season.

Where to Watch: Netflix, Apple TV