Meet Your 2019-20 Minneapolis Hockey Captains

Audrey Thibert

“You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take” -Wayne Gretzky

Hockey captains Lydia Peterson and Sam Pearson both claim Gretzky as their favorite hockey player because of this famous quote.  Lydia, a senior at Southwest and captain of the Minneapolis women’s varsity team, has been playing hockey since third grade. Sam, also a senior at Southwest and captain of the Minneapolis men’s varsity team, has been playing hockey since second grade.  I askedthem a few questions about their passion for the sport and what being a captain is like.

Q: What is the biggest difference between club hockey and high school hockey?

Sam: Club hockey is different because it’s much more laid back and not nearly as exciting. In my opinion, high school hockey is a lot more fun because you have your peers cheering for the team and it’s also a lot more fast paced. 

Lydia: Attendance is mandatory unless you have a valid excuse which is very different, and it’s a lot faster pace. 

Q: What is the most important and meaningful piece of advice a coach has given you?

Sam: Keep your head up.  Because if you don’t keep your head up, you’re not going to be able to make plays and you may get hit hard without seeing it coming.

Lydia: Never be late.  You shouldn’t be late to other places in your life either, so it is an important piece of advice.

Q: What has been your favorite part of high school hockey so far?

Sam: My favorite part of high school hockey has definitely been becoming closer with my friends and guys from other schools. Being one big team, Minneapolis hockey has allowed for me to bond with people from places outside of Southwest. To me, this is important because these relationships are going to go a long ways, even beyond high school. Oh, and also beating Mound Westonka in the section playoffs last year. 

Lydia: Beating Holy Angels.

Q:  What are you looking forward to most this upcoming season?

Sam: Winning the state championship and playing in “Hockey Day Minnesota.”

Lydia: Beating Holy Angels.

Q: What is a difference you notice this year compared to last?

Sam: Our senior class is bigger than it has been in recent years. Also, being a senior this year has made me feel more obligated to enjoy my time while it lasts.  

Lydia: We have a very young team which will be good for future years.

Q: As a captain, what do you feel your most important task is?

Sam: I think the most important task as a captain is being someone your teammates can look up to.  You want to set an example by always working hard, being on time, having a positive attitude, and just making it fun for everyone.

Lydia: Bridging the gap of communication between coaches and players.  I want them to learn how to act and interact with older and younger kids when they are older.

Q: How would you describe your high school hockey experience in one word?

Sam: Magical.  

Lydia: Nervous.  I was so anxious during my freshman and sophomore years but it’s better now, it’s more fun.

Q: What do you love most about hockey?

Sam: One thing I love most about hockey is that because it is a winter sport, you can play it outside of just the high school sport.  I can go play it at the park with my friends and go watch it and it is always so fun and always something I can do in the winter.  And I like skating because it’s fun to glide on ice.

Lydia: I love how fast it is.

These two students exhibit the essential qualities of all good captains: passion, humility, confidence, and honesty. They make time for the demanding commitment that is hockey and love every second of it. They set examples for the younger players and lead them to become inspiring athletes and people. Come support the men and women’s hockey teams this 2019-20 season!